Apply to Join the Board
We are a dedicated team united in our passion for bringing about meaningful, enduring change for our trans community, one individual at a time.
Please review the basic responsibilities and expectations below. Feel free to reach out to current board members regarding any questions you may have.
Each Board Member is expected to:
- Read, review and understand the contents of the Mission & Bylaws (PDF);
- Read and abide by Point of Pride policies, including confidentiality policies;
- Be informed about Point of Pride’s mission, services, and programs;
- Attend at least 9 of the 12 regularly scheduled monthly meetings;
- Attend functions and special events as appropriate to their Board position and to meet marketing and outreach purposes;
- Take initiative and offer to lead on certain tasks, assignments, or committees as needed;
- Communicate regularly via updates throughout the week, as well as provide a monthly activity summary;
- Read other board members’ activity summaries prior to all board and committee meetings and assist in other ways to make board meetings efficient and productive;
- Assist the board in carrying out its fiduciary responsibilities by assuring the organization is being managed in a fiscally responsible manner;
- Attend trainings and events — or review articles and resources online — on non-profit board member duties and responsibilities, and share the information with the board at large to assure that Point of Pride meets its state and federal obligations to maintain its non-profit status;
- Suggest possible nominees to the board who can make significant contributions to the work of the board and the organization;
- Contribute in some manner, either financially or through time and talent, to Point of Pride’s fundraising and development efforts and sustainability;
- Inform others about, and promote, the organization and its mission, particularly in LGBTQ or intersectional spaces.
- Depending on the time of the year, board members can expect to spend an average of 8-20 hours a month preparing for programs and services, attending regularly scheduled meetings (online via Google Hangouts or a phone conference call) or helping further the mission of Point of Pride. Executive Committee members (President, Secretary, Treasurer) may spend more time.
- Board meetings typically take place via Google Hangouts on the 1st Tuesday of the month from 6:30pm EST to 8:00pm EST. (Our board members live and work in every timezone, so this is the current schedule to best accommodate our members.)
- We use an online tool called Basecamp that allows us to collaborate asynchronously and stay connected with progress, projects, and what other members are working on. Board members are expected to be communicative frequently each week.
As we work to develop a board that represents the communities we serve, we are currently only seeking applicants who are members of under-represented minority communities, including trans femme folks, people of color, and people living with a disability.
Once your materials are received, you will be contacted by a member of our team within 10 business days.