Electrolysis Support Fund
About the program
Point of Pride’s Electrolysis Support Fund provides financial assistance towards permanent hair removal services (including electrolysis and laser hair removal) for trans folks who cannot otherwise afford them.
We have very few requirements in an effort to be as inclusive as possible:
- You identify as transgender (FTM, MTF, non-binary, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, and all other non-cis identities.)
- You have financial need that prevents you from affording hair removal services.
- You are 18 years old or older, or have consent from your parents and/or hair removal providers.
- For trans feminine applicants: You are seeking hair removal on your face, neck, or on an area of your body in preparation for bottom surgery.
- For trans masculine applicants: You are seeking hair removal on an area of your body in preparation for bottom surgery (phalloplasty or metoidioplasty) and have a surgery date estimated or officially scheduled.
This program is intended to help trans folks who otherwise can not afford hair removal. We ask that you consider your access to healthcare before applying for this grant. Here are some questions to consider:
- Are you able to pay for hair removal services out of pocket?
- Are you employed and able to save some money towards hair removal services?
- Are you a citizen or documented immigrant?
- Do you identify as white, or do you experience white/light-skinned privilege?
If you answered YES to these questions, you may consider making space for our trans siblings who mostly answered NO. (Even if you answer YES to most or all of these questions, you are still eligible to apply.)
Point of Pride staff will host live "Before You Apply" info sessions to walk potential applicants through our requirements and processes, and answer questions. These are completely optional to attend and will not impact your application positively or negatively.
- Watch a previously recorded session (YouTube)
Your privacy and security are our top priority. Your personal information will be hidden from other participants; your video and microphone will be disabled. You will not be able to see or interact with other participants; you will only be able to interact with staff via a private chat feature.
The sessions have generated captions with Zoom's built-in, real-time translation available.
Applications are accepted January 1 – February 29 (11:59pm EST.)
Applications are only considered during the time you apply, and you are welcome to submit an application once each application period. All applications must be submitted online.
- Carefully read this page, especially our Frequently Asked Questions section.
- Review our Instruction Packet, which walks you through each question of the application form.
- Submit your application via the form below.
What to expect
Once the application period ends, our Board of Directors and team of Community Grantmaking Fellows (trained volunteers) evaluate each and every application received. This process is necessarily difficult and time-intensive, so thank you for your patience!
- If you are selected as a finalist, or if our reviewers determine they need additional information, you will be contacted via email 4-12 weeks following the application deadline.
- If you are selected as a recipient, you will be contacted via email 4-12 weeks following the application deadline. Grants are $1,250 per recipient, and will be paid directly to your electrologist or laser hair removal provider. The full details of your award will be explained in your recipient agreement.
For even more detail, this resource serves to provide complete context and clarity around our financial assistance programs, and why we have certain requirements or parameters in place.
- Privacy and safety: We know many applicants feel vulnerable in sharing their experiences, and we take this very seriously. Anything you share with us in your written responses will be kept strictly confidential and private. Recipients will have the opportunity to publicly share their stories in the way that feels safest and most affirming for them, as well as hide identifying information if preferred.
- Language: Our application is not an English test. We will not consider grammar/spelling or writing ability when reviewing your responses. Above all, please give us detailed, thorough responses so we understand your unique situation. We hope to provide full translation support in the future.
- Accessibility: We understand that some applicants may want or need extra support in completing their application. You may list someone else on the application as your liaison, translator, or support person. This person will be CC'd on all email notifications regarding your application status. (Access can be revoked at any time by the applicant by contacting Point of Pride.)
- Equity: Our organization prioritizes equity as one of our guiding principles. Your application will be assessed on the responses you provide and in accordance with this guiding principle. While Point of Pride does not discriminate based on age, race, ethnicity, gender, or any other identity, this program does prioritize femme applicants who are seeking hair removal on their face. Access to facial hair removal often equates to safety against anti-trans violence or discrimination, which disproportionally affects trans women of color.
"Are there age requirements?"
"Can I apply if I've already had, or am currently having, hair removal sessions?"
"Can I apply if I'm seeking hair removal on an area other than my face, neck, or in preparation for surgery?"
"Can I apply if I'm a trans masculine person?"
"When will I receive a response about my application?"
"When are recipients selected?"
"I have questions about hair removal. Where can I learn more?"
"I've missed the application window deadline. Can I submit a late application?"
"Can I apply this cycle if I have applied in the past?"
"Can I submit an application on behalf of someone else?"
We recognize there may be barriers that prevent someone from submitting an application on their own without help. You may submit an application on behalf of someone else only if you are working directly with the applicant and clearly reference their involvement in completing the application. (For example, if you are providing technological support, language translation, or other assistance on behalf of the applicant, please note your role and that the applicant is still the primary author of their responses.) However, you may not submit an application without the applicant's involvement. (For example, applying for a loved one without their knowledge.) While we understand the desire to surprise someone with a grant, our process builds on the fundamental idea that trans people are our own best advocates: we want to ensure that this belief is reflected throughout the application process.
"Can grants be used for laser hair removal services?"
"What if I am unsure whether laser or electrolysis is right for me?"
"If awarded a grant, can I switch the type of hair removal service I need?"
"Can I apply for my care while being a support person for someone else's application?"
"I've received support from Point of Pride in the past. Can I apply?"
"I live outside the United States. Can I apply?"
The deadline to submit your application is February 29, 2024 at 11:59pm EST.
Meet past recipients
To date, we have awarded $118,000 in financial assistance.