Trans People Belong Everywhere: Looking ahead in 2024
In 2023, in the face of the overwhelming onslaught of anti-LGBTQ+ legislation, we remained steadfast and committed to our trans siblings with a loud reminder: Trans people belong everywhere.
Now, just a few days into 2024, we're seeing more anti-trans bills coming very fast, with nearly 180 being tracked across the country. The types of bills we're seeing are alarming, as they seek to end the legal recognition of trans folks and block access to gender-affirming care for not just youth, but adults as well.
This information is concerning. It is exhausting to process, let alone stay up-to-date on.
I want you to know: Point of Pride stands with you. We're more determined than ever in our mission to provide healthcare access to those who need and deserve it, and we're ready to nimbly support our trans siblings—in Florida, Kansas, Oklahoma, everywhere—as we all navigate this ever-changing political and legislative landscape together.
As journalist Erin Reed so aptly shares:
"When I need hope over anti-trans legislation, sometimes I look at old pictures of the people who came before us. Trans and queer people have always been here, and we have always faced struggles. Tonight, I'm looking at pictures from Stonewall... the day after, to be exact. These people lived in a time where you were arrested for being LGBTQ+, for gathering with friends, for existing. Violence by both the state and those around them were ever present. The day before this picture was taken, these people faced being raided and arrested for who they were. And yet... the day after, in the middle of one of the worst attacks on LGBTQ+ people in our nations history, they gathered and smiled. Keep hope. We'll all do this together someday."
As always, Point of Pride will continue to monitor all current and future legislation and work with our partner organizations and experts on the ground to ensure we can continue to provide support to the most vulnerable members of our community. We will be nimble and pivot resources in response to whatever the future holds. And we're ready to fight these bills.
We see you, and you're not alone.
- You can follow the Trans Formations Project, a grassroots nonprofit dedicated to tracking and educating about the anti-trans legislative crisis currently sweeping the United States. You can look up and contact lawmakers to demand action.
- You can also follow Erin Reed's ongoing work tracking the likelihood of where these bills may pass.
- Reach out to your loved ones and fellow trans folks. We all need a support system, and chosen family is especially important right now.
- Prioritize your own rest and self-care. Take breaks from the news cycle.
- You are valid and valued. Know that legislative attacks and uninformed rhetoric cannot diminish the love and support that millions of community members and allies have for you.
- Get support when you need it. If you’re struggling, we encourage you to reach out to Trans Lifeline, an incredible resource by and for trans people.
US: (877) 565-8860
Canada: (877) 330-6366
Written by Tyler Rodriguez
Tyler (he/him) is the Program Manager at Point of Pride. He has worked in the healthcare industry for more than 15 years, and possesses a deep expertise on the issues that most affect our community in accessing care.